Hello, and welcome to the “all new” Ramblings and Disorganized Drivel of Hooligan D blog. I am the hooligan, the “D” stands for Don and this is my blog.

I began this blog five years ago because I am a sucker for peer pressure (everyone else was doing it) and it seemed like it could be fun. When I began the blog it really had no direction and blindly I had no idea how or what I was doing so unless you’d enjoy some goofy poems I wouldn’t even bother with the archived posts prior to 2011.

The new direction with the blog will be along the lines of what the name suggests; ramblings and disorganized drivel. Basically it will be whatever I feel like talking about at the time. It could be a vehicle to display any new artwork I have created (did I mention that I am an artist), a talk about sports (rants about my favorite teams and their inability to keep me from having to rant about them) or maybe even a goofy poem now and then. Mostly it will probably be about my favorite subject and that is music. I have an extensive library and knowledge of music (I think that I could have done really well on that old Rock N Roll Jeopardy show that was on VH1 for a few years) that I feel like sharing with the world.

Some of the music will be well known to most while others will be very obscure and probably unheard of for the most part. It will not be album reviews because I can’t stand and usually disagree with critics anyway, but will be more of here is this group, this is their genre and a few samples so you can decide for yourself. I know that personally I have discovered some of my favorites groups by accident through a music review or just thumbing through the discount section in a music store and trying a band that just has a cool or unusual name.

Currently I am planning on this being a weekly blog, but may change that as time goes on. I do not know who, or if anyone will read my blog, but I figure, even if no one does, it will still give me a creative outlet to talk or ramble on and will, hopefully, keep me from just aimlessly staring at the same handful of websites for hours at a time.

So, with that, “Le……………….t’s get ready to Ramble!”

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From the "new" beginning....

     In the description of this blog I mention that sometimes the posts may be about my newest piece of artwork or about sports or about music. Well since this is my first post in the “all new” blog I am going to touch on each subject; for no other reason than I can. 


     First, I will begin with a short rant about March Madness and my inability to fill out a successful (winning) tournament bracket. I really thought this was my year! Unlike previous years when I have either over thought the whole process or just picked teams that I like and want to win, this year I spent about five minutes filling out my brackets and chose very few upsets. Of course, this has become the year that there seems to be more upsets than not. I only filled out one bracket and entered in to a pool at work and also in to the tournament challenge on espn.com. I guess I will just write off the $5 entrance fee at work as a donation which is not a big deal, but what really hurt was when I checked my standings in the espn challenge and found that my bracket was ranked 2 million 400 some thousandth. :( Next year, I may have to complete my bracket like I witnessed at work where one girl chose names that she liked or ones that shared the same beginning letter as her name. I have tried every other way and really could not do much worse than I am now. There truly seems to be no method to the madness, but I guess the good news is that next year I have nowhere to go but up.

     As mentioned in my blog description I am also an amateur (wannabe professional) artist that last summer ended my twenty year hiatus and began drawing again and often. I have even received a little bit of commissioned work which really puts a new spin on something that I enjoy doing in the first place. I work from photographs and mainly work exclusively in pencil, but on a few occasions have surprised my small (minuscule) following with a little bit of added color. My latest work was actually a donation to a silent auction benefit basket at work. The basket theme was “fiesta” so I searched Google for Mexican folk art and came up with a photograph of a beaded mask adorning the skull of a bull. It seemed like a really cool picture that fit the purpose I needed it for and the detail really presented a nice challenge. Anyway, too make a short story long; here is the finished product. 



     And now for the good stuff; this is the part where I get to talk about music and my latest musical obsessions. The first musician that I am highlighting in my blog is a guitarist, singer, and songwriter from Philadelphia named Kurt Vile. Kurt’s genre is considered roots rock, lo-fi, and indie rock and according to Wikipedia has been likened to Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, and Tom Petty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_vile 

     I discovered Kurt while reading through the album reviews in Rolling Stone Magazine. I cannot remember what kind of review he got because I usually don't listen to reviews anyway, but I decided to check him and out and found that I really enjoy his music. Here are a couple of samples and we'll see if you enjoy it as well or if it is just me. The first is a song called "Jesus Fever" from his new album "Smoke Ring For My Halo" and the other is a video from his previous album "Childish Prodigy" for the song "Freak Train". Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.


     
     Well that is about it for now. Future posts probably will not be quite this long and wordy, but this being the first post I wanted to touch base on all aspects that this blog could contain from week to week. Also, future posts probably will not be created on a Wednesday, but more likely a Saturday or Sunday. I just happened to take a snow day off from work today and decided to fill my free time with revamping and reinventing my blog. That's right I said snow day on March 23rd; welcome to Michigan. Now I think that I will go unbury my car......again.

     And now to quote one of my all time favorite sign offs (for those of us old enough to remember the television show Midnight Caller) "Goodnight America.....wherever you are".

1 comment:

Dinahmightklicks said...

how did she do with her bracket? BTW...your a good writer.